Day 05 – Diskit Gompa and Travel from Numbra Valley to Pangong on 14-Sep-2022


Belonging to the 14th century, Diskit monastery or Diskit Gompa is considered to be the largest and oldest monastery in Nubra Valley. The monastery’s has the huge Maitreya Buddha statue atop it, which was inaugurated by Dalai Lama. The Diskit monastery is situated on the hill, just above the flood plains of the Shyok River, on its right bank in the Diskit village (3,144 metres (10,315 ft)) in Nubra Valley.

Travel from Hundar to Panging Lake via Durbok was hectic and risky at times. Significant travel was along the Shyok River. Some part of the road was very risky due to the possibility of landslide. We wanted to stop for photos at a few places, but the driver informed that we cannot stop as landslide can happen at any time. The mountain views were fantastic and breath-taking – very high mountains formed by variety of rocks having different colours and patterns. The Karakoram Mountain Range is located in one of the most geologically active regions of the world. the mountains are mainly composed of different types of rocks like granites, phyllites, gneisses, and crystallized schists.

Pangong Lake Extending to almost 160km, about 30 % of the Pangong Lake lies in India and the other 70% in China. Pangong Lake, one of the most famous lakes in Leh Ladakh, derives its name from the Tibetan word, “Pangong Tso”, which means “high grassland lake”. Pangong Lake, situated at a height of almost 4,350m, is the world’s highest saltwater lake. Its water, which seems to be dyed in blue, stand in stark contrast to the arid mountains surrounding it. Pangong Lake is also known to change colors, appearing blue, green and red at different times. The lake become more famous as some scenes of Three Idiots Hindi Movie.

Day 5 was marked by VIsit to Dixit Monastery, Scenic and hectic travel and enjoying views to Pangong Lake and !!!

Related Posts:

Related Posts :

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s